[Matroska-general] Haali Matroska Splitter + mkvmerge + DTS-HD Master Audio: workaround found

Rob P robpdotcom at msn.com
Mon Nov 22 17:48:01 CET 2010

Hello,
I have found a workaround for the known issue of playing back Matroska files, which contain DTS-HD MA streams and were made with mkvmerge, by using the Haali Matroska Splitter.
The issue is easily solved by entering the DTS Default Duration into the header editor of mkvmerge. The default duration of DTS frames is 10 2/3 milliseconds (or, 10666666 nanoseconds, as entered into the header editor). Entering this value will allow Haali Matroska Splitter to work with all mkv's with any DTS stream (normal DTS, DTS 96/24, and DTS-HD MA have all been tested).
Of course, this could be implemented into mkvmerge, and I have informed the developer of that software, but that does not fix this issue with files already created by countless users. So, I thought that maybe a fix would be possible for the Haali splitter, if it could "assume" the default frame duration when it sees a DTS track, and then all files previously created would play back normally.
Thank you for listening,
Rob