[Matroska-general] rationale for tagging system?

Steve Lhomme slhomme at matroska.org
Mon May 31 22:57:23 CEST 2010

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 7:12 PM, Arno Schuring <aelschuring at hotmail.com>wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> Can anyone point me to a more in-depth explanation about how the mkv
> tagging system should be used? I've already read both the specification
> at matroska.org and reviewed the dtd files (from mkvtoolnix - which do
> not match the specs btw), but so far I have no information about its
> purpose or intended use.
>
> Some of the more easy questions:
>
> - what's the significance of an EditionEntry (or what type of file would
> have more than one EditionEntry)?

Editions are about Chapter editions. It's used to hide parts of a Segment or
even order it differently. The tags could differ between the editions (the
title for example).

> - regarding the Tag element: it acts as both a container element and a
> divisive element, but what's the BCP regarding its use? Should I give
> each SimpleTag element its own Tag element, can I just use one Tag
> element for all SimpleTags? What's the semantic difference between the two?

Did you check these examples ? They are good starting points for best
practice:
http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/tagging/example-audio.html
http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/tagging/example-video.html<http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/tagging/example-audio.html>

> - regarding TagLanguage/ChapterLanguage: I don't understand why there is
> a separate element to indicate the language of a (non-nested) element.
> The official recommendation is to use the xml:lang attribute for such
> cases, what's the reason for not following it?

EBML and Matroska are not XML based, they resemble it, but have some
differences (or shortcomings). Each tag value should be matched with a
TagLanguage value. There can be more than one variant of the same Tag in
different languages in the same file. Same thing for Chapters.

> In my current blissful state, I feel like I'm stabbing in the dark here.
> Is there any recommendation (or an overview) of how an application (=
> player software) treats (or preferably, "should treat") any of the
> information contained in Matroska tags?
>

> I'd be grateful for any pointers,

I hope those above help.