[Matroska-general] rationale for tagging system?

Arno Schuring aelschuring at hotmail.com
Mon May 31 19:12:10 CEST 2010

Hello list,

Can anyone point me to a more in-depth explanation about how the mkv
tagging system should be used? I've already read both the specification
at matroska.org and reviewed the dtd files (from mkvtoolnix - which do
not match the specs btw), but so far I have no information about its
purpose or intended use.

Some of the more easy questions:

- what's the significance of an EditionEntry (or what type of file would
have more than one EditionEntry)?

- regarding the Tag element: it acts as both a container element and a
divisive element, but what's the BCP regarding its use? Should I give
each SimpleTag element its own Tag element, can I just use one Tag
element for all SimpleTags? What's the semantic difference between the two?

- regarding TagLanguage/ChapterLanguage: I don't understand why there is
a separate element to indicate the language of a (non-nested) element.
The official recommendation is to use the xml:lang attribute for such
cases, what's the reason for not following it?

In my current blissful state, I feel like I'm stabbing in the dark here.
Is there any recommendation (or an overview) of how an application (=
player software) treats (or preferably, "should treat") any of the
information contained in Matroska tags?

I'd be grateful for any pointers,

Regards,
Arno Schuring