[Matroska-general] Problem regarding a HD video.

Christoph Terasa kohlrabi82 at gmx.de
Tue Oct 28 18:18:13 CET 2008

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 01:12:42 +0100, Daniel Oliveira Ferraz de Melo
<dan_ferraz at yahoo.com.br> wrote:

> Hi guys. Im having the following problem:
> Im trying to play this high definition (1080p) documentary in the
> matroska format, but at some specific parts, the video isnt playing
> smoothly, the image does not flow naturally. Moreover, sometimes the
> audio hangs a little.
> But the problem appears not to be in the parts of the video
> specifically, because if you take some time, and then play the
> problematic part again, it will play just fine. What seems to be this
> problem?
>
> - The video resolution is 1920 x 1080.
> - Im using both Media Player Classic and Windows Media Player together
> with K-Lite Full.
> - Im using a LCD screen 17" with the native resolution of 1280x1024.
> - My graphic card is a Geforce 8800 GTS.
>
> Thank you.
> Daniel.
>

>       Novos endereços, o Yahoo! que você conhece. Crie um email novo com
> a sua cara @ymail.com ou @rocketmail.com.
> http://br.new.mail.yahoo.com/addresses
> Read Matroska-General on GMane:
> http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.multimedia.matroska.general

Hi Daniel,

please tell us what CPU you have, and info about the video stream (level
and ref frames). If you decode in Software, you'll need a CPU in the range
of a 2.5 Ghz Core 2 (from my experience) for smooth 1080p playback. If you
want to use graphics hardware accelerated decoding you should check out
Media Player Classic: Home Cinema or install the Combined Community Codec
Pack in favour of K-Lite. When the video is encoded properly (level
settings and ref frames) MPC:HC should be able to use DirectX hardware
acceleration on the Geforce 8800. Check out the MPC:HC homepage at
http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/DXVASupport.html for more info about setting
up DXVA.

Christoph