[Matroska-general] Question

Christian Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Fri Dec 26 11:42:10 CET 2008

I am sorry, but from your question its becoming obvious that you havent
understood what a video container like AVI or MKV actually is. Both are just
containers, the size of the files is defined by the audio and video stream
compression types and the bitrates used during compression.

MKV is the more modern container, allowing for video and audio compression
technologies to be used, which can not be properly used in AVI files, and
will allow to shrink the size of the file considerably. However, there can
be two files, one being MKV and the other being AVI, containing the same
audio and video streams and being of very similar file size. Got the point ?

Christian