[Matroska-general] bidirectional support for UTF8 hebrew subtitles in matroska on mplayer

Christophe PARIS christophe.paris at free.fr
Wed Apr 23 20:26:16 CEST 2008

Lior Galanti wrote:
> when playing a utf8 subtitle track stored in a matroska file, mplayer
> seems to behave exactly the opposite way from how its behaves when
> an external srt file.

Your sample seems to works correctly on Windows using vsfilter :
http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/9859/clipboard01sg7.jpg
It looks like your "external.png" file.

In my opinion it's not a Matroska issue.
Unicode already store everything you need to handle text in any direction.
So there is no need to store directionality at the matroska level.

The problem is probably in mplayer which doesn't handle subtitles in
the same way if they are loaded from an external file or from an embedded stream.