[Matroska-general] MKV vs MP4

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Fri Oct 19 12:32:51 CEST 2007

Emanuele Fumagalli wrote:
>> IIRC MP4 sucks for streaming because you need some information that
>> are usually at the end of the file. Matroska doesn't need any
>> information that are usually at the end of the file (like seek info).
>
> Hi Steve, thanks for your info.
> Actually there's a way to have all the header at the beginning in MP4,
> what I'm evaluating is the overhead needed from the decoder to strart
> playing a video.
> I made a quick test and it seems that using MKV I can save 50% of the
> header size, but I son't know why.
> Is there maybe some option in Matroska to compress the header even more?

Not really. It depends on what program you use to mux. For example
mkvmerge leaves about 4 KB of data at the beggining in case it needs to
write some more stuff later. Usually this space is not used. So
modifying mkvmerge might allow saving a little more space. Other muxers
may have similar things too. I think AVI-Mux GUI (from Alex Noé) is the
most flexible for that.

Steve