[Matroska-general] MKV vs MP4

Emanuele Fumagalli emanuele.fumagalli at babelgum.com
Fri Oct 19 11:18:47 CEST 2007

> IIRC MP4 sucks for streaming because you need some information that are
> usually at the end of the file. Matroska doesn't need any information that
> are usually at the end of the file (like seek info).

Hi Steve, thanks for your info.
Actually there's a way to have all the header at the beginning in MP4, what
I'm evaluating is the overhead needed from the decoder to strart playing a
video.
I made a quick test and it seems that using MKV I can save 50% of the header
size, but I son't know why.
Is there maybe some option in Matroska to compress the header even more?

thanks for any help

bye