[Matroska-general] Licensing

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Tue Nov 6 10:10:58 CET 2007

Bruno George Moraes wrote:
>  Hi,

Hi Bruno George,

>  Well i'm working in a set-top-box project for the Brazilian market
> and we have some features to include and maybe matroska support, so i
> need information for the issues on integrating matroska in our
> comercial project, like your license because we want to do things
> right for both sides. Our software probably will be proprietary, but
> for now is in early stages.
>  And if something can be done about to have this inclusion and how to
> proceed are welcome.

There are no license fee and no patent that we know of in matroska. So
you are free to use it. We can help you test devices to make sure it
follows the format philosophy and features as good as possible. And of
course we are here to answer technical questions you may ask.

You can use Haali's splitter written in C as it's probably the most
suitable for embedded device. Otherwise libebml+libmatroska is the
official/most complete library.

Steve