[Matroska-general] Matroska 4th public birthday

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Tue May 1 15:25:05 CEST 2007

Hi everyone,

Today is the 4th birthday of the first matroska public release !

We've come a long way and achieved a lot during that time. We didn't
reach the initial goal of being used as a file format to edit files. But
we are used by many people to make their encodings in the best possible
quality and with all the features they want. Nobody can now dismiss
matroska and its users, even though we still don't have any native
hardware support.

Although matroska may seem a bit dormant, we are all still working on
it. Either adding more codec support (Mosu, Haali), trying to enhance it
(discussions on DRM and enhanced EBML) or make it more audio friendly
(foobar2k). There's also the 1.0 version of Perian that will be released
soon that will add matroska support in QuickTime (OS X only for now) and
therefore iTunes. And the google Summer Of Code in VLC and FFMPEG to add
a muxer to each program.

On the CoreCodec side (who I work for) CorePlayer has matroska support
on Windows CE, Palm OS and Symbian (to be released soon). The new
version will have a media library that will make use of matroska tags.
That can be browsed like iTunes on these devices. So now everyone should
tag their files extensively for better sorting and browsing.

A big thanks to all the continued support from developpers and the
growing user base :)

Steve