[Matroska-general] Avi-Mux GUI link missing, was : error 404 page not found

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Wed Aug 8 09:11:09 CEST 2007

poker schrieb:
> Hi Chris,
>     I have just tried to download the AVIMux-GUI from your windows
> download page.  Unfortunatley I got the 404 error, for both the
> homepage and the download links.
>
> Best
>     Randall Green
Thanks for reporting this bug, we will look into it. To be honest, i
have not heard from Alexander Noe, the maker of the program, for a long
time. It may be that he discontinued development on avi-mux GUI (short :
AMG), and maybe also his usual download space is not available anymore.

I will send the version of the program i have here on my HDD in a
separate email to you, dating from end of 2005, so that you can do some
testing with it.

Most matroska users today are using mkvmerge from Mosu's mkvtoolnix
package, but especially if you are into tags and chapters editing, there
are some clear advantages in using avi-mux GUI. mkvmerge and its GUI,
still until today, do not offer possibilities to edit or add tags and
advanced chapter information, while AMG will allow for that.
Be aware though, that some more modern video compression methods, like
h.264 (AVC), may not be handled by AMG at all, forcing you to using
mkvmerge if you intend to create MKV files containing this stream type.

Regards

Christian
matroska project admin