[Matroska-general] DVD Santa

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Wed Oct 4 23:23:09 CEST 2006

roxanne,

please understand that all we are doing is to create software to pack
video material into MKV format, and to play it on various platforms. We
are happy if people use our software, and convert their videos into MKV,
whatever kind this may be. What we can not hold responsible for, from
our perspecitve, is what our users are doing with these files, and where
and how other people do get them.

Let's assume for a second, that you got the MKV from a friend. When he
made the MKV, he must have known there is no easy way of converting it
into DVD, at least right now. So, what conclusion does that allow us ?
a. He doesnt like you, and was trying to give you a hard time
b. He doesn't care if you can make a DVD from it, or not
c. He doesn't like a DVD to be made from his movie
Did i forget anything ?

We understand there is a need for some people to convert MKVs into DVDs.
We were trying to inform them about at least one possibility to do that,
and we even took the time to write a Guide about that, using a 3rd party
software of which we have no sort of control (its makers even refuse to
talk to us ?).

Now, is it really fair to attack us about the encoding quality of
another software ?

Regards

Christian
matroska project admin