[Matroska-general] mkv conversion

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Wed May 10 19:20:12 CEST 2006

James Glover schrieb:

>    Your guy's web page is helpful for making a mkv into a dvd ONY if
> the person is using dvd santa. Personally I don't like dvd santa. For
> every one else out there that doesn't use dvd santa, check out
> http://www.riverpast.com/en/prod/videocleaner/index.php
> The River Past video cleaner supports mkv (packs required) conversion
> and even has web tutorials to show you. Since river past is also a
> microsoft affiliate, I think that means matroska is taking a big step
> to taking over the media formats.
> Gratz guys.
>        Eyamaz

DirectShow based video conversion (e.g. from MKV to MPEG2) will
typically not support 2-pass encoding, resulting in inferior picture
quality in any case. Sorry, but i guess we can not recommend this method.
Anyhow, we are looking at a new program called MediaCoder
(http://mediacoder.sf.net) based on Linux' mencoder, allowing for great
flexibility and perfect quality.

Christian
matroska project admin