[Matroska-general] Re: Your software on our CD/DVD/Internetsite

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Fri May 5 21:24:36 CEST 2006

Dear PC-Welt people,

First, i am not interested if you need to send these requests for 'legal
reasons', its annoying and causing me unnecessary work. It is clearly
visible on the sourceforge project homepage that VdubMod is GPL. If you
are too lazy to look this up, thats your problem. As you seem to know
well about the GPL license and what its about, you should know that
THERE IS NO LEGAL REASON to ask us about distributing it .... the terms
are 100% clear, thats what the GPL license is about.

Second, VdubMod is certainly not free from third party rights, espcially
not as a binary. There is a MPEG1/2 decoder built in, so whenever the
binary is distributed, the MPEG-LA is requesting from the distributor to
pay license fees. Sourceforge has that covered, your magazine certainly
has not.

Third, the latest build is 1.5.10.2
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=65889&package_id=69373&release_id=395413

Fourth, VdubMod is more or less an abandoned project, there is no active
work on it anymore. It works as it is, but less and less people intend
to use VfW (VCM) codecs for their video compression needs, so it is
bound to die anyhow one day.

Fifth, this will definitely be the last email you will receive from me.
Yes, the program is GPL and we gave you allowance 4 times already to
distribute it (if you dont fear the MPEG-LA coming after you, that is),
and thats definitely enough.

Best regards

C. Wiesner
VirtualdubMod project admin

P.S. matroska support in VdubMod seems to be broken right now. For
perfect matroska support, you need to include mkvmerge/mmg
(http://mkvmerge.matroska.org) or avi-mux GUI
(http://alexnoe.matroska.org) on your CDs