[Matroska-general] Re: New distribution concept

Paul Bryson paul at msn.com
Wed Feb 22 14:30:32 CET 2006

"Steve Lhomme" <steve.lhomme at free.fr> wrote...
> http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=16228
>
> "With the launch of Blu-ray, we're going to try to introduce the
> managed-copy concept, where if you buy Blu-ray you'll be able to get
> additional versions (of the same title) to use in your home," Feingold
> said. "Ultimately, we might even get to the point where we'll offer
> consumers the ability to have different versions of the same movie on
> different devices in the home -- that's something we're working on."

I call BS.  One of the original advertised abilities of DVD was the ability
to have more than one version of the movie by just selecting which you
wanted from the main menu.  This would allow you to have the uncut, regular,
and maybe even airline version on the same DVD using branching.  I have yet
to see this done anywhere, although it is certainly possible.  The content
industry wants you to pay for each and every additional version you want.

Atamido