[Matroska-general] Re: mkv

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Wed Aug 30 14:45:04 CEST 2006

Matthew Robertson schrieb:

> hi
> just though i would email to say the mkv thing is good lol
> when i first came across a mkv video i was like "oh shit another codec
> to fuck with"
> but i just played it in videolan and eveything was good
> then i saw all the features of it and must say it was a great find
> its perfect for anime too. subtitles and audio tracks and all that
> i tell my freinds about it, i tell them its like a DVD in 1 file about
> the size of the same quality/len in like divx or xvid
> so yeah its good
> i wish i could do something for the project but i cannot code well in
> anything but VB
> so yeah maybe il donate some money later :P

Thanks Matthew,

dont forget matroska is not a video format, but a very versatile
container format giving the creator of the video the biggest flexibility
about what video and audio streams to combine, when 'making' his movie file.
The low size of the MKV you got is not because the container is so good,
but because the video and audio compression methods used in the MKV were
very good.
Other MKVs may be huge and bad quality, you can never tell before. Other
MKVs may be huge, but contain HD-TV quality video streams, better than DVD.

If you want to contribute, join us on irc.corecodec.com , #matroska ,
our IRC channel. Be patient, its sometimes pretty boring in there ;) .

Christian
matroska project admin