[Matroska-general] Use (Unpack) A Matroska - File

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Thu Mar 31 11:08:51 CEST 2005

Moritz Bunkus schrieb:

>Hey,
>

>>How can I unpack this File and convert the Songs in Ogg or mp3 - Files
>>(jpg/tiff for Pictures).
>>please give me the description in a simple (dummies) English.
>>

>You can use mkvextract from the mkvtoolnix package available at
>http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/ It is only a command line
>utility though. There's also a GUI for it from someone else available at
>http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?threadid=73819 but I don't how if
>it supports all the features you'd need (CUE sheet and attachment
>extraction). Mosu

First of all, please refrain from telling us where you are obtaining
your files, we aren't really interested to become witnesses of 'illegal
actions' ;-) .... Second, doing what Mosu recommends will give you a
.FLAC lossless compressed file, and i don't know if you are having any
MP3 compression program that can read FLAC files for the conversion process.

I recommend to use the great foobar2000 player from
http://www.foobar2000.org , get the special installer with matroska (
.mka ) reader plugin. If you download lame.exe, the free command line
MP3 encoder, from the internet ( Google is your friend ) and put it into
the main root of the foobar2000 installation folder, it will not only be
able to play your matroska file, including display of the chapters ( =
songs ) , but you will also be able to convert either the complete album
or each song individually to MP3. Of course, Ogg Vorbis is much better
than MP3 and its latest and best encoder is coming with foobar2000 by
default, because its free to distribute.

Speaking of the cover files that are attached to the MKA, the most
easiest way to extract them is to use the matroskaprop.exe program that
is distributed in our 'matroska full pack' from
http://packs.matroska.org, our DirectShow playback pack to allow
matroska playback in Windows Mediaplayer, or any other DirectShow based
player like Zoomplayer, BSplayer, MPC or TCMP ( The Core Mediaplayer
http://www.corecoded.com ). For the latter, it still has the best
support for audio files amongst all DirectShow players, because it will
list all chapter files ( = songs ) of the album in a simple right click
in the 'Media Streams' list.

Please note that in the matroska full pack you have to manually activate
matroskaprop.exe, the shell extension, in the setup configuration
window. After installing the pack with matroskaprop, you will be able to
see all file details of matroska files in Windows Explorer, and a right
click on the file, 'properties' ( = 'Eigenschaften' ) will list all
attachements the file has and will allow you to extract them.

I hope this was helpful

Best regards

Christian
matroska project admin
http://www.matroska.org

P.S. By chance i know this tracker, and if you had searched a bit harder
you would have found the same file in an Ogg Vorbis q5 version also ;) ...