[Matroska-general] [Fwd: Ideas for Google Summer of Code projects]

ChristianHJW christian at matroska.org
Fri Jun 3 20:51:18 CEST 2005

FYI

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Betreff: Ideas for Google Summer of Code projects
Datum: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 10:57:05 +1000
Von: Joshua Root <z3022016 at student.unsw.edu.au>
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.multimedia.ogg.advocacy

Sending ideas here per Monty's request:

>10:36 <@xiphmont> Oh, getting back to Summer of Code:  The idea is
>Google will pay students $4500 to apprentice themselves to an OSS
>project.  Could be quite a boon, and we should think of ways it
>would be useful to Xiph.
>10:37 <@xiphmont> But for now, just think.  Send mail with ideas
>(after reading about it on the google site)

Link to the site: <http://code.google.com/summerofcode.html>

I think the Xiph QuickTime plugin described on the wiki[1] would be a
good one. It would be especially timely given that the plugin that is
widely used to play Vorbis files in iTunes[2] has stopped working
entirely under QuickTime 7.

The bitrate peeling and low-bitrate encoding improvement projects
could also be good for SoC (though I admit I have no idea how much
work those would actually require.)

[1] <http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/Bounties#Xiph_Quicktime_Plugin>
[2] <http://qtcomponents.sourceforge.net/>