[Matroska-general] Re: [Matroska-devel] Re: ratDVD navigation filter sourcecode

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Fri Jul 29 08:00:01 CEST 2005

While we are at it, can somebody from the dev team pls. reply to Doom9's
answer here :

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=97893&highlight=ratdvd

[quote]Actually, the matter of COM has come up in the developer forum
before: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=97210
I cannot claim this is a general consensus, but the way we left that
thread seems to hint that COM actually allows you to use GPL code
without falling under the linking clause.
I only have VC# installed so I cannot try and compile, but it does
appear to me as if the libdvdnav download package on the ratDVD site
does contain the whole component so I fail to see the GPL violation.[/quote]

This is completely different than what we have found during our
discussion on IRC. Toff didnt find the complete sources of the DShow
filter in the download, but only libdvdnav itself with the COM
interface. Also, if wrapping code into COM make is possible to use it in
apllicance with the GPL, the complete GPL itself is obsolete as this
will mean you can use any GPL code in closed source apps. This is what i
learned from Toff during our conversation on IRC.

Christian