[Matroska-general] mkv and DVD/DIVx player

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Mon Jul 11 20:27:57 CEST 2005

Marlene,

i am sorry to say that there is no way to play matroska files on DVD
standalone players, and no easy way to play them on DivX players. Main
reason is, that a single MKV file can contain MANY different audio,
video and subtitles tracks using VARIOUS different compression methods.
Here a short list ( not complete ) :

Video :

MPEG4 ( DivX 4/5, XviD, 3ivX, etc. )
Realvideo ( RV9/10 )
Quicktime video
MPEG1/2

Audio :

MP 2/3
AC3
Vorbis
AAC / HE-AAC
FLAC
Wavpack
Realaudio

Subtitles :

SRT
SSA/ASS
vobsubs
USF

You get the idea ? Normal DVD players can only play MPEG1 and MPEG2
video, in combination with AC3 and MP2 audio. So-called 'DivX Players'
extend this to MPEG4 video and MP3 audio, and thats it. Even when a MKV
file would contain only MPEG4 video and MP3 audio, the standalone
manufacturers had to add special support to be able to 'read' the MKV
file structure, before these units can actually play the files.

The only possible way was to add MKV reading support to MPEG2 encoding
tools like the famous TMPGencoder, so that people could easily create
DVDs and S-VCDs from MKV files. This was working at one time with a
former matroska DirectShow splitter we had, and for some strange reason
has now recently stopped working ( we dont know why, but are
investigating ). In any case, during this kind of conversion you will
likely loose all subtitles in the MKV file, and we dont know a way to
fix this yet.

We do understand that many users have problems understanding, why
release groups are using MKV instead of well known AVI container. Well,
please understand that we did not 'invent' matroska to give anime
release groups a better container for their ( sometimes illegal ) file
releases. Our aim is to replace the old, outdated AVI container from
Microsoft with something better, more modern, as a general use video
file container with great flexibility. We honestly didnt expect the
impact our project would have on the file sharing scene, and are even
very surprised that MKV has become the preferred container for anime
releases today. The reason this is is more the weakness of the other,
competing formats ( like MP4, the real, official container for MPEG4
video standard ) than really matroska's strength for content distribution.

However, we do understand that many users do have huge problems to deal
with matroska, and therefore i am currently concentrating on finding an
easy way for MKV-to-DVD conversion, to make things much easier for the
general user.

I hope this explains a few things

Christian
matroska project admin