[Matroska-general] Re: Streaming mpeg4 video, ogg container

Stephen Birch sgbirch at imsmail.org
Sun Jul 10 11:49:27 CEST 2005

ChristianHJW(christian at matroska.org)@2005-07-09 20:46:
> Stephen Birch schrieb:
> >Has anyone streamed mp4 to xine yet?  Using a hardware encoder to
> >generate raw MPEG4 data and would like to view the stream on a remote
> >computer using xine.
> >The plan is to use the ogg container.
> >That would mean the stream would need to flow to the xine udp input then
> >to the ogg demux and into the mpeg4 decoder.
> >Does this make sense or should I use a different container?
> >Steve
>
> MPEG4 video in OGG container is nothing but a hack without real specs,
> called OGM, and without any support from Xiph. None of the existing OGG

I read through the ogg specs and it seems to be a well designed
container capable of carrying any audio/visual content.  Its also KISS
which I like a great deal.

> streaming servers ( Icecast ) support this. You should definitely use
> DARWIN and the MP4 container for that, or at least matroska in native

I couldn't find specs for the "MP4 container" either.  I was actually
hoping to use theora.  I am sick to death of technology being built on
patented software.

IMHO We should pass a law that prevents STANDARDS from being built on
patented or propriotary technology.  The way we do it at the moment is
insane.  If a technique isn't widely available because of patents it
should not be eligible to be a standard.

> MPEG4 video mode ( not VfW mode ), if you manage to create a streaming
> server for it ;) .....

Matroska ... who is behind that one?  I see you are the project admin,
but what is it all about?

> Christian
> matroska project admin
> http://www.matroska.org

Thanks for answering, Christian.  Streaming video isnt rocket science
and I am irritated by the high degree of confusion out there.