[Matroska-general] Re: [sales-e] Support Question : please add support for matroska audio/video container format, .MKV extension

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Sun Jul 10 10:01:14 CEST 2005

Dear Sirs,

i am happy to tell you that our format is on a very good way to replace
old, outdated AVI. Our matroska packs do show *more than 1.6 Million
downloads* meanwhile, http://www.matroska.org is getting *8 Million
unique hits* per year, and MKV is slowly getting adapted in many
encoding apps and video editors. Your point is moot, as we were not
asking you to include a matroska parser into TMPG, but only to add the
EXTENSION ( .mkv ) in the list of supported/recognized video formats.
TMPG could open MKV files just fine with out old DirectShow splitter,
and we are investigating right now why it doesnt work anylonger with our
current splitter filter.

As another possibility, is there a way to add MKV as a supported video
format by changing a registry setting in TMPGencoder ? That way our
DirectShow pack could check for the existence of TMPG on the users PC,
and add .MKV to the list of supported formats. This is possible and done
with WMP 10 by the way, and works great for us.

In return for your cooperation, we can offer to add a dedicated
MKV-to-DVD Guide page on our homepage ( http://www.matroska.org ) and a
long News entry concerning this. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Christian
matroska project admin
http://www.matroska.org