[Matroska-general] New version of matroskasplitter from Gabest

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Fri Feb 11 11:04:30 CET 2005

Liisachan a écrit :
> Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org> wrote:
>

>>Hey,
>>

>>>As for "changelog," probably
>>>+ Dirac support added (V_DIRAC)
>>
>>That's very interesting because we ( = the official Matroska team) has
>>not done anything with Dirac, especially not specified how to store it
>>in Matroska. Although I don't have any idea if Dirac might require
>>special treatment or if it's just a matter of defining the CodecID
>>(V_DIRAC seems fine to me) I don't like it that others simply put stuff
>>into Matroska with an "official" CodecID without talking to us.
>

> Afaik, there's no muxer yet that can store Dirac in Matroska,
> so, I assume it's not like he decided how to store it in
> Matroska.

 From Gabest on IRC :

<robUx4> what is special about V_DIRAC ?
<Gabest> nothing, it just doesn't have a container
<Gabest> it's like mpeg elementary stream
<Gabest> but the decoder is so terribly so it won't be used for a long time
<Gabest> slow

> I remember that there was originally the official splitter
> called kaxdemux.dll released directly from Matroska.org,
> and Gabest's MatroskaSplitter was originally an
> unofficial alternative. Technically, Gabest's work is something
> that is somewhat unrelated to the official Matroska team from
> the very beginning.

True, but it's now distributed as the official one.

> I think I know how you devs (might) feel, but I do really hope
> that there won't be any more container wars.

Heh. The war has been on from the beggining ;) Nothing new, just one
more item in the battle field.

> What happened related to some other formats, especially in the
> doom9 forum, was not constructive, just waste of time and energy.
> I'm not going to say someone or something is good or bad,
> but as a user, one thing that is sure, is no users have any
> problems at all if there are more than one containers, such as
> AVI, MP4, OggFile, OGM, MKV, RMVB, etc. etc.

But as coders, we know which ones have good or bad potential and which
ones should be avoided.

> Honestly, I'm having mixed feelings about this.
> I don't know what to say.
> Fansubbers owe a lot to Gabest, especially about
> Advanced SSA, DirectVobsub, Textsub.vdf, and VSFilter.
> He is so great and almost holy for me (or "us"), at least for
> now.
> Of cource everything can change... for instance Haali's
> splitter is getting more and more attractive,
> and USF might be another possibility in the future.

I personally prefer to rely on more than one person to support
something. That's why I'm more and more convinced that VLC is the way to
go for us. They have a huge potential and lots of coders. If someone
leaves, the whole thing is not dead or need to be restarted from
scratch... They seem to have problems with their success (too many
requests, not enough management), but it will probably evolve positively.