[Matroska-general] New version of matroskasplitter from Gabest

Liisachan Liisachan at faireal.net
Fri Feb 11 10:49:01 CET 2005

Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> > As for "changelog," probably
> > + Dirac support added (V_DIRAC)
>
> That's very interesting because we ( = the official Matroska team) has
> not done anything with Dirac, especially not specified how to store it
> in Matroska. Although I don't have any idea if Dirac might require
> special treatment or if it's just a matter of defining the CodecID
> (V_DIRAC seems fine to me) I don't like it that others simply put stuff
> into Matroska with an "official" CodecID without talking to us.

Afaik, there's no muxer yet that can store Dirac in Matroska,
so, I assume it's not like he decided how to store it in
Matroska.

You can see "S_TEXT/USF" in his codes too,
altho how to store USF in Matroska is not finalized yet.
I think it's basically the same thing.

I remember that there was originally the official splitter
called kaxdemux.dll released directly from Matroska.org,
and Gabest's MatroskaSplitter was originally an
unofficial alternative. Technically, Gabest's work is something
that is somewhat unrelated to the official Matroska team from
the very beginning.

Anyway, Dirac as I see today has its own file format (not VCM
sotred in MS AVI), with the extension .drc, and Gabest's
DiracSplitter and/or MPC can play .drc files.
At least from my viewpoint, there is no reason at all why MKV
can't store Dirac.

In case you need a sample .drc file,
http://park14.wakwak.com/~flower/Dirac_Test.zip 723KB

As another note, just in case you ppl don't know yet...
Gabest is creating yet another container format, DSM. There is a
short text file explaining this format in
the zip for DSM Splitter/Muxer.
http://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?release_id=303770

Possibly DSM is a window-only format.
Here's a sample graph,
http://park14.wakwak.com/~flower/2005/dsm.png
and sample file:
http://park14.wakwak.com/~flower/2005/dsm_sample.zip 1.4MB

I think I know how you devs (might) feel, but I do really hope
that there won't be any more container wars.
What happened related to some other formats, especially in the
doom9 forum, was not constructive, just waste of time and energy.
I'm not going to say someone or something is good or bad,
but as a user, one thing that is sure, is no users have any
problems at all if there are more than one containers, such as
AVI, MP4, OggFile, OGM, MKV, RMVB, etc. etc.

Honestly, I'm having mixed feelings about this.
I don't know what to say.
Fansubbers owe a lot to Gabest, especially about
Advanced SSA, DirectVobsub, Textsub.vdf, and VSFilter.
He is so great and almost holy for me (or "us"), at least for
now.
Of cource everything can change... for instance Haali's
splitter is getting more and more attractive,
and USF might be another possibility in the future.

Liisachan