[Matroska-general] Interresting license issue

Joerg Sonnenberger joerg at britannica.bec.de
Tue Sep 28 18:41:51 CEST 2004

On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 11:30:25AM +0200, Steve Lhomme wrote:
> Jory Stone a ?crit :
>
> > "I would counsel [developers] to stop assigning the copyrights of their
> >modifications to Sun and keep them under their own names, licensed under
> >the
> >General Public License and in the open version only."
> >Keeping the code GPL doesn't make any possible patents or lawsuits go away.
>
> Nop, but it forces any code using it to be "as free" as the GPL. But in
> that case that probably means the whole OOo should become GPL, and force
> Sun not to use the code in a closed-source application...

This is exactly the attitude of the FSF and IMO the biggest evil they ever
produced. Sun made OOo Open Source, but that doesn't mean they have to play
according to the rules the _FSF_ set. I don't have a problem if they have a
commerical version of OOo, I might even buy it if the added values are worth
it. But I can't understand this GPL zealots, because that's going to kill
Free Software in the long term. As company, dealing with the GPL is very
difficult, because the Everything-Open-Source paradigm is normally utopic.

Joerg