[Matroska-general] Re: FAQ for coders of firmware for DiVX standalone's

Mike Matsnev mike at po.cs.msu.su
Mon Sep 20 08:07:13 CEST 2004

Christian HJ Wiesner wrote:
> i love our project, but to be honest i am not sure if it is even
> possible to properly support it on hardware devices. Its a general use
> container and can contain almost anything under the sun, i guess its
> impossible to support so many different audio and video formats in a
> standalone unit.
>
> We thought about creating profiles for hardware support, limiting the
> number of used codecs, but for the time being those do not exist and i
> fear less than 5% of all existing MKV files would comply with the
> so-called 'simple profile' we had in mind some time ago, and could be
> played on a standalone.
The players that support mpeg4 in avi already will have no trouble with similar
matroska files. Typical players available here support all mpeg4 features
(some can't do GMC), can play MP3/AC3 sound in avi, and some can play
external SRT subs.

Also, I added integer-only support to my parser library, so it can be used
in standalone devices. Maybe it's time to approach device manufacturers
again?

/Mike