[Matroska-general] Re: FAQ for coders of firmware for DiVX standalone's

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Sun Sep 19 22:26:42 CEST 2004

Shane,

i love our project, but to be honest i am not sure if it is even
possible to properly support it on hardware devices. Its a general use
container and can contain almost anything under the sun, i guess its
impossible to support so many different audio and video formats in a
standalone unit.

We thought about creating profiles for hardware support, limiting the
number of used codecs, but for the time being those do not exist and i
fear less than 5% of all existing MKV files would comply with the
so-called 'simple profile' we had in mind some time ago, and could be
played on a standalone.

I copy this email to the matroska-general list, lets see what the other
guys think about this.

Christian
matroska project admin