[Matroska-general] For all savvy encoders

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Tue Oct 5 14:10:11 CEST 2004

Hi,

For the multiangle feature we'll need a few restrictions on the streams.
The most important one is that we should only switch angles on a
keyframe. I think that's how it's done on DVDs...

If you only rip your DVDs to the original MPEG2 in MKV (still waiting
for support in mtx ;) there won't be any pb. But if you encode that
MPEG2 video stream to something else, you can't enforce the main video
to have a keyframe at each change/gap in other angles...

So my question is : is there any way to force keyframes at known
locations when encoding in the few popular codecs (DivX, XviD, RV9) ? If
not we probably won't create such an application. So the other option
would be to encode all parts of a movie separately and then join the
final data. Do you think it's possible for these same codecs ? Just
keeping the codec informations of the first encoded file...