[Matroska-general] Help ! Matroska doesn't work !!!

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Sat Oct 2 16:19:00 CEST 2004

Francesco De Sanctis a écrit :

> Hello !
> I have a question on Matroska software installation !
> After i installed matroska full 1.03, it doesn't work !!!
> I installed ffdshow 20020617, xvid 1.0, divx 5.03, but i can't play
> files mkv.
> When i open file mkv with bsplayer it says me: "can't open file".
> When i open file mkv with windows media player 9 with drag and drop, it
> doesn't know the file.
> Just virtualdubmod can open files mkv.
> I had try with virtualdubmod to convert a my divx in mkv without audio,
> all right but if i try to open these files with bsplayer and windows
> media player 9 it does those errors !
> I had try too to open ffdshow configuration from Matroska Pack but it is
> wrong link; there it is signaled in: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\rundll32.exe
> ffdshow.ax,configure, but ffdshow is in: C:\WINDOWS\rundll32.exe
> ffdshow.ax,configure.
> This is the same for ac3Filter.
> I had try to uninstall and to install Matroska another time but the
> problem remains.
> I have windows98 second edition,128mb ram, directx 9 !
> Can you say me what can i do ?
> Thank you !
> Bye
> Francesco bat

Hi Francesco,

Win98 has some problems with Unicode DLLs. You might try to use Media
Player Classic. I think there is a Win98 version. And use the internal
splitter. If you get newly made Matroska files with mkvmerge, you might
not be able to seek in the files... (you can still remux them with
Avi-Mux GUI or an old version of mkvmerge)

Otherwise you can use VideoLan, as long as your files don't use the
RealVideo codec.