[Matroska-general] Re: Dirac Video Codec

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Fri Oct 1 11:58:46 CEST 2004

Hi Tim,

I'm glad that you contact our humble project for your codec.

Of course I would be very happy to be able to mux Dirac in Matroska. We
have already worked with another developer that makes a wavelet-based
codec called Warp. But it's just in early development for the moment...
The good thing is that it might use the same principle as yours (or the
opposite ;) of coding many frames into one big data packet, and generate
a few frames from that packet. It's quite different than the usual IPB
frames systems. But hopefully Matroska is already designed to support
such cases.

The advantages for you is that Matroska is a project based only on the
container and we make our best to make that part as good as possible.
For example OGG was meant to carry Vorbis and now Theora and a few other
codecs. But IMO the design is not so good (the container is too much
codec-related). I couldn't tell about MXF. All I know is that it's a
professional class container, but maybe not good for everyday/basic use.

I could go on and on telling you why I think Matroska is great, but
maybe we can wait a little for that ;)

We are a small motivated team, working for free and try to avoid getting
into political/commercial holes. That's why we try to support every
possible (and good) codec, regardless of where it comes from (MPEG,
Microsoft, Real, etc).

Our goals for the end of the year are :
- finish the tag system (probably the most powerful one)
- add a menu system, based on the one of DVDs (but others could be used too)
- add WavPack support which will need a feature that is not used by any
codec so far

 From that point Matroska will be considered as stable and
full-featured. (maybe it would be nice to see if it fits your needs too,
before considering the big part is done)

Finally Matroska can be played and created on Windows, Linux, Mac, BeOS
and even Pocket PC. All the code is open-source and cross-platform.
There are a few C++ implementations, various ones in C and one (probably
incomplete) in Java.

Steve