[Matroska-general] Real and Microsoft

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Thu Nov 25 10:16:55 CET 2004

Hi,

As you all know Real has filled a suit against Microsoft in the EU
because of the integration of WMP in Windows. That's one of the famous
anti-trust suits... So it's clear that Real's competitor is Microsoft.

But the status of the technology right now is that it's impossible to
use RealVideo out of RealPlayer or in Windows with DirectShow. And this
is a real problem for Matroska as lots of files are distributed in
RealVideo.

So I would like to contact Real in the name of Matroska to ask them to
allow apps like VLC to be allowed to display RealVideo one way or
another (maybe MPlayer too, I don't know if it can and if so probably
not on PPC)... The other option would be that they add Matroska support
in RealPlayer (which we can code).

With more than 500,000 downloads of the pack, we can claim a good user
base. It might be a good point for Real.

Opinions ?