[Matroska-general] Re: Matroska v1

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Sun May 30 13:36:28 CEST 2004

Christian HJ Wiesner a écrit :

> Moritz Bunkus wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> - finish resolving issues that may exist on some tags
>>
>> Pamel should probably comment on that as he has done so much work for
>> it.
>

> Yes, where is Paul :) ?

Maybe the timing is bad. He said yesterday on IRC that he won't have
internet for 2 weeks :(

Seems we are out of luck these days...

>>> - native MPEG4 support (with or without Block 2, it can be
>>> discussed), IMO we can't go v1 if we don't have native MPEG4 which is
>>> probably 80% of existing Matroska files
>>

>> Yes, but I'm not really any closer to having a working solution than I
>> have been four months ago. I'll see if I can work on it during the next
>> two weeks.
>

> Sidenote : a working native MPEG4 implementation would be a very good
> thing from a marketing aspect !

As I said to Chris on IRC, I was thinking yesterday of getting rid of
all the AVIs I have a convert them to MKV. But most of them are DivX
encoded, and that would be silly to do it when native MPEG4 support is
pending... So I'll wait for this support to do it... Maybe other people
are thinking the same too !

> The number of supported formats has nothing to do with going 1.0 IMO.
> Making matroska 1.0 is a matter of the specs, but not necessarily of the
> codec ID page. We can add support for any of those whenever we like to,
> again IMO.
> Besides, any new format we add gives us publicity and we could well use
> some of that right now i guess ....

So you think we should support these codecs before v1 ? (IMO it will be
done faster than doing v1) BTW this is the same issue as native MPEG4.
Except that for native MPEG4 we need to test references that were never
tested before...