[Matroska-devel] Re: [Matroska-general] Matroska v1

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Sun May 30 13:07:45 CEST 2004

Moritz Bunkus wrote:
> Hi,
>>- finish resolving issues that may exist on some tags
> Pamel should probably comment on that as he has done so much work for
> it.

Yes, where is Paul :) ?

>>- native MPEG4 support (with or without Block 2, it can be discussed),
>>IMO we can't go v1 if we don't have native MPEG4 which is probably 80%
>>of existing Matroska files
>
> Yes, but I'm not really any closer to having a working solution than I
> have been four months ago. I'll see if I can work on it during the next
> two weeks.

Sidenote : a working native MPEG4 implementation would be a very good
thing from a marketing aspect !

> About the Block 2: I don't think we should rush this. Leave the current
> block scheme in place in 1.0 and maybe create a new block for after 1.0.

I fully agree. Overhead should be better compared to most AVIs ( all
DivX5 AVIs, most XviD AVIs ) even with block 1, and a new block type
before we go matroska 1.0 is no good thing from a psychological point of
view IMO.

>>- native TTA support
>
> and
>
>>- native WavPack support
>
> I don't think that these two are required for 1.0. They're 'would be
> nice to have' features, but nothing more. We already have support for
> one lossless codec (FLAC), so these two should not stand in the way of
> 1.0 being released

The number of supported formats has nothing to do with going 1.0 IMO.
Making matroska 1.0 is a matter of the specs, but not necessarily of the
codec ID page. We can add support for any of those whenever we like to,
again IMO.
Besides, any new format we add gives us publicity and we could well use
some of that right now i guess ....

>>The menu system is too complicated and should go for the next
>>release.
>
> I agree. We won't get that working anytime soon.
> Mosu

I had loved to get menues working in 1.0, but it seems we have to live
with a compromise here, as we currently dont get the support we need
from the outside world. Only Mosu and robux4 coding, and me doing some
minor admin help ( with plenty of RL obstacles ) .... we should push
matroska 1.0 as is now, maybe only adding native MPEG4 .