[Matroska-general] Re: Matroska v1

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Sun May 30 12:28:38 CEST 2004

Moritz Bunkus a écrit :

>>- native MPEG4 support (with or without Block 2, it can be discussed),
>>IMO we can't go v1 if we don't have native MPEG4 which is probably 80%
>>of existing Matroska files.
>

> Yes, but I'm not really any closer to having a working solution than I
> have been four months ago. I'll see if I can work on it during the next
> two weeks.
>
> About the Block 2: I don't think we should rush this. Leave the current
> block scheme in place in 1.0 and maybe create a new block for after 1.0.

Good ;)

I'm not against Block2, but for v1 we probably want something stable.
And the rest of the format hasn't changed for a while. But native
references are not well used currently in any tool, AFAIK. So I doubt if
we go with the current system, it will work...

>>- native TTA support
>>- native WavPack support
>

> I don't think that these two are required for 1.0. They're 'would be
> nice to have' features, but nothing more. We already have support for
> one lossless codec (FLAC), so these two should not stand in the way of
> 1.0 being released.

Yes, but the v1 freezing is not about the code, but the specs. We just
need to define what we put in CodecPrivate and what goes in the frames,
nothing more. I'll investigate that, and from that point implementation
will be easy for everyone.

IMO the time vs benefit ratio is good :) And I really want to support
both codec in the future. They are good, open source and most of all,
better than FLAC in many areas.