[Matroska-general] Where do we go from here ?

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Wed May 5 15:45:17 CEST 2004

Liisachan wrote:

>Christian HJ Wiesner <chris at matroska.org> wrote:
>
>>I second all of this requests from Liisachan, maybe with the exception
>>of APE. Honestly, since FLAC has such nice support in matroska already (
>>thanks to Jory ), and when looking at the very small differences between
>>all the lossless codecs, i wonder if we need anything else but FLAC ?
>>APE is even closed source, only the SDK to use it is open, should we
>>really support that ?
>>

>Well, unlike FLAC, APE is not always backward compatible,
>so it is true that FLAC is "safer"
>But APE is generally smaller (i.e. higher compress ratio) than
>FLAC, and because of that reason, APE is used more than FLAC is.

Question :

I can see lossless audio in MKV only as a temporary solution for
capturing or editing, but not really for archiving ? Am i wrong ? Do you
know of anybody who would like to have his audio lossless compressed in
a movie, and why ?

>Since there are already (more than one) DirectShow Filters for
>APE, I guess APE support in MKV would be not too difficult
> (tho, technically, I m not sure...)
>NOTE: This does not mean I don't like FLAC and/or CoreFlac.
>I do like CoreFlac, even tho the current version is still beta.
>I do like FLAC, even tho the spec for Ogg Flac is now being a
>bit confused.
>Anyway, I just mean it would be nice if users have a lot of
>choices.

ACK ... matroska is all about choices and freedom, so i second that
..... but its hard to motivate the devs to do this, when there are so
many other, maybe more important things to be done at the same time.

>>About USF support in matroska :
>>
>>Well, i honestly hope unmei will have the necessary time and motivation
>>to look at that one day,
>>

>Well, I'm afraid it's unfair to say that.
>Please look at this thread:
>http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73417&perpage=20&pagenumber=1
>His newest post in dated 1/5/2004
>Liisachan

Jesus, i complete missed out on this thread to be honest :O ...... in
other words, i had no idea there is actually something happening about
USF ... good news, thanks for pointing me to that  !!!

Best regards