[Matroska-general] Re: Live streaming

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Tue Mar 30 15:26:22 CEST 2004

Hi Dave !

Dave wrote:

> Chris,
> I maintain the un-official website for NullSoft Video.
> www.scvi.net.   I was told of your project by a friend.
> Can the matroska container format be used for live streams ?

In principal yes, but as we are focussed on the storage side, at least
for the time being, there is no working implementation of a matroska
streaming solution. I guess the VLC guys are the ones who are closest to
this.

> Is there any server software that is capable of streaming Motroska
> media ?

Unfortunately not

> I am planning including information about the matroska format as a
> alternative to the shoutcast
> protocol.  Cheers  Dave

Alternative ? I was always of the opinion shoutcast could make use of
matroska also ? or is it bound to Ogg container ?

Christian
matroska project admin