[Matroska-general] Perspective

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Wed Jun 23 18:49:50 CEST 2004

Hi,

> So we need to get (better) organised to have things actually done, to
> keep things moving.

I agree.

> Any idea / suggestion / agreement / disagreement ?

I'll rearrange my priorities a bit and push B frame / native MPEG4 to
the top (well below fixing bugs but above implementing other new
features). Same goes for TTA and Wavpack. I'll also look into adding the
latter two to mplayer - I definitely have to do that in order to have a
working test platform.

The complexity is... Well... B frames / native MPEG4 will be
interesting. Native MPEG4 involves removing some parts of the bitstream
(in AVI each MPEG4 is preprended with some bits (dunno what they do). In
MP4 this is not the case, and Matroska's native mode should not contain
this stuff either), and this seems to be easy enough. Getting the
players (I'll definitely fix mplayer and try to fix vlc & xine) do
accept that should be easy if they can already handle MPEG4 in MP4 which
all three do. B frames with proper timestamping is more difficult,
though, and I have no idea how long it'll take me.

Let's say I can get it all working by end of July.

The complexity for TTA/Wavpack is unknown to me so far because I haven't
looked at how much source and documentation is available for both
projects. I'll take a look at that this weekend.

About the 'editor'. This is of course the biggest project. But before I
start working one bit for it we'll have to be clear about the license to
use. Maybe you've already come to a conclusion, but I don't know of any
decisions. The thing is that I won't work on it if the editor will not
be Open Source. I don't want a crippled version and a full
version. That's not Open Source, and that's not something I want to work
for.

Mosu