[Matroska-general] License Form for TCME

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Fri Jan 30 14:43:43 CET 2004

Christian HJ Wiesner wrote:

>> Then we are already 2 in favor of the LGPL :)
>

> Going L-GPL, please correct me if i'm wrong, would allow companies to
> use our video editor for their larger works, and sell it . Is this what
> we want ?

Any OSI approved license will not prevent any company from doing it.
Open means at least you can do whatever you want with the code.
Especially sell it.

With LGPL if they make modifications to the core (not the plugins) they
have to give the modified source when you buy the software.

> I agree that for a library, like libmatroska/libebml, or frameworks like
> gstreamer, this can be pretty interesting because they can strenghten
> their position as standards with every single app using the library of
> the framework, but why should we allow anybody to make profit from our
> video editor ?

Anybody will be able to make profit from it. But will there be any dumb
enough people to buy a software you can get for free ?

> Steve, if you think about it, there is a much better reason to release
> libmatroska/libebml under a L-GPL license than TCME ?

indeed...