[Matroska-general] License Form for TCME

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Fri Jan 30 14:39:15 CET 2004

Steve Lhomme wrote:

> Cyrius wrote:
>
>> So I am also for a GPL license.
>> BBB mentioned on IRC that he was using L-GPL even for programs (because
>> he found it more convenient). Maybe he could join the discussion and
>> explain why LGPL could be better than GPL for programs.
>
> Then we are already 2 in favor of the LGPL :)

Going L-GPL, please correct me if i'm wrong, would allow companies to
use our video editor for their larger works, and sell it . Is this what
we want ?

I agree that for a library, like libmatroska/libebml, or frameworks like
gstreamer, this can be pretty interesting because they can strenghten
their position as standards with every single app using the library of
the framework, but why should we allow anybody to make profit from our
video editor ?

Steve, if you think about it, there is a much better reason to release
libmatroska/libebml under a L-GPL license than TCME ?