[Matroska-general] License Form for TCME

Christian HJ Wiesner chris at matroska.org
Fri Jan 30 12:13:17 CET 2004

Hi,

there has been a lot of discussion about the license for TCME, before
even a single line was coded, but thats actually not a bad thing either.

Here the options and the Pro's / Con's , in a summary :

*1. Closed source / no license :*

Pro : allows selling ; no forks possible ; all binaries fully
controllable with respect to their functionality
Con : nobody from outside will contribute to it, we have to do
everything ourselves ; bad commercial reputation

My vote : not a bad option with some advantages, but not my favourite

*2. QPL / GPL dual license*

Pro : allows selling of the program later, for everything contributed
under the QPL license
Con : contributors can choose either license for for their patches,
doesnt prevent forking at all

My vote : BAD !

*3. QPL single license*

Pro : Makes forking not so easy, and always obvious to informed users ;
allows selling of the program ; patches sent by contributors can be sold
also
Con : Gives the whole project a bad, commercial smell, even if we never
plan to market the program

My vote : We have better options

*4. GPL single license*

Pro : well accepted license type with good reputation in the OSS
community ; contributors will feel safe about doing so ; free protection
from the GNU lawyers in case a company will steal the code ; lot of code
out there that could be reused
Con : an invitation to fork the project, as GPL is pro-fork

My vote : maybe the best option we have, if we dont make 5.

*5. New license, 'Corecodec Public Antifork License'*

Explanation : We can basically copy some paragraphs from the GPL, but
add other paragraph to strictly forbid to fork from the project, means
the complete source/binary distribution has to be changed compared to
the GPL, making it ( of course ) completely incompatible with the GPL
itself ; special paragraphs have to deal with what's happening in case
- the original host ( Corecodec ) disappears, and the devs cant agree on
a new host
- the project is declared dead by the majority of the main devs/admins
- the originall devs decide to relicense and sell the code
For these cases a 'fallback to GPL' should be part of the license,
making the program free-software in the terms of the FSF again, to avoid
abuse and to help contributors to trust in the goals. I expect that many
other projects may also have a use for the license that way.
Pro :  raises public awareness for Corecodec, especially if we manage to
get OSI approval for it ( i checked many other licenses, there is no
similar license existing )
Con : people will instantaneously cry : 'yet another license, and why ?'
; higher explanation effort

My vote : lets discuss that here, i'd love to hear your opinions

Guys, its essential that you all give some input here. Dont complain
afterwards that you dont like our decision !