[Matroska-general] Re: [Matroska-devel] Re: Variable Framerate, plugin based video editing tool

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Wed Jan 28 10:44:22 CET 2004

Heya,

I agree with Chris here. This project will be big enough as it is, and I
fear we won't get anywhere with so few people if we spend our energy now
on something that is not the first thing to decide. Actually we can do a
LOT of work before we even get to this stage where such an edit format
will be required, and I hope we can concentrate on that instead.

I like Chris' roadmap so far, especially the first four points. What I
really want to have is to have the core and the GUI separated from each
other. I also want to have the core being completely scriptable. Ideally
the GUI would only translate its actions (open file, seek to time x, get
the number of tracks etc) into such script commands. Therefore this
script language needs some thinking. I have very little experience with
such stuff, so others are probably more knowledgable (avisynth users?).

Then we need some kind of API for the demuxers / readers /
whateveryouwanttocallit. This API must be powerful enough to get all the
information out of a Matroska file. It will not be enough to have
something like libavformat (meaning only the basics, open a file, get
the next frame, have a rough description of the codecs etc). The same
goes for the output layer. And we need a framer layer (functions/modules
that split a stream of e.g. MP3 frames into the individual frames).

That's only the background. We also need someone who's willing to do GUI
programming. I'm not - I don't like it, and more importantly, I'm not
good at it. The GUI (like the core) must be cross platform, so the
number of GUI toolkits to chose from is very, very small. Qt is out of
the loop as it cannot be used royalty-free on Windows anymore
(especially not if we ever want to accept money for it if I understand
it correctly). Gtk might be a solution as it does run on Windows. I'd
prefer wxWindows as it is very comprehensive and takes care of a lot of
xplatform issues right away.

What else? Hmmm... I'd also prefer to use Subversion as the version
control system as it has numerous advantages over plain CVS, but as this
will be a Corecodec project I guess that is out of the question, and
we're stuck with CVS again.

You see, Steve, I definitely do not want to discredit your ideas. It's
just that we have more than enough work ahead of us that is totally
independant of what you want to achieve. Let's concentrate on this
instead, please.

Mosu