Re: [Matroska-general] Re: help on libmpdemux usage (Modifié par Jérôme Cornet)

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Sat Jan 17 11:24:26 CET 2004

ChristianHJW wrote:

> D Richard Felker III wrote:
>> Not at all. Someone is perfectly free to make a plugin for a
>> proprietary system out of GPL code for their own private use, but the
>> GPL does not give them permission to distribute this derived work
>> since it is linked (even dynamically) to proprietary code.
>> Rich
>

> Hmmm, interesting discussion. I have to think through this a second
> time, but it seems Richard has just been proving to me that a GPL
> license is basically incompatible with *M$ DirectShow* also, and thus we
> presently dont allow anybody else to make and release a DirectShow
> parser filter for our stuff, as long as we have this license type for
> our main lib. Have to check if QPL would maybe allow, but i dont think
> it will be less restrictive in this respect.

Don't worry, you're not the first person to ask about this. And if there
was a definitive answer noone would need to question it again. But
actually there is *no* answer to this... My opinion is that a DSF is
just a standalone piece of code, that could be used by a DirectShow
clone that could be GPLed. So it's not hard linked in any kind to
anything proprietary. Sowe don't mind about it.

> Of course, this is currently no issue as we, the license holders, are
> distributing our own DShow parser/muxer filters, but to stress the same
> example as discussed here, if anybody wanted to make a Quicktime plugin
> using libmatroska/libebml, he'd violate the GPL doing so :O !! And
> jcsston is just working on a Helix/RealNetworks muxer for matroska, and
> using libmatroska for that ! As Helix itself is not GPL, but using a
> different license style to the best of my knowledge, you basically cant
> use any GPL plugins with it without violating GPL itself ?

The license for Helix is compatible with the GPL. It's stated on Real's
site. Of course Quicktime may be another problem...