[Matroska-general] Re: Looking for a file format

ChristianHJW christian at matroska.org
Fri Jan 16 23:57:09 CET 2004

D Richard Felker III wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 03:19:40PM +0100, Måns Rullgård wrote:
>>OK, but it's still way too complex.  I was hoping there would be
>>something simple.  I need only a single audio stream, but the
>>timestamping is important.
>
> The solution is the nut format, created by Michael and Alex. But there
> isn't any complete working code for it. Alex was working on nut muxer
> & demuxer for libavformat, but he says libavformat makes it difficult
> to handle pts and subpackets correctly. You can read the (slightly
> outdated) spec in DOCS/tech/mpcf.txt from MPlayer CVS. The first fully
> functional nut muxer will probably be in MPlayer G2.
> Rich

See Richard, thats the difference. We dont accuse you of 'pimping' a
'vapourware' container, like many of you did with us at the time we were
telling people we're working on new container specs.

BTW, matroska audio ( .mka ) supports all kinds of different PCM
formats, different sampling rates, bitdepths and endianess, its
timestamp based, can be muxed into a matroska video file ( .mkv ) with
- MPEG1
- MPEG2 ( yes, we have it working :-) )
- MPEG4
- RealVideo9
- any VCM/VfW video codec
- raw video
and its streamable via Http ( no UDP payload yet )

... ah yes, and we have working code for Linux, Windows, MacOSX and
BeOS, a fully supported and powerful tagging system, a nice descriptive
homepage, etc. pp .... :P ....

Regards

Christian
matroska project admin