[Matroska-devel] Re: [Matroska-general] TCMP, MILK, matroska, mkvmerge, avi-mux ..... what a mess !! Cant we come up with a common Corecodec strategy ?

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Fri Jan 16 09:59:06 CET 2004

Moritz Bunkus wrote:

> Now what makes this complicated? One thing is that all the command line
> parameters actually have to reach the packetizers (and yes, I do mean
> all or nearly all), that the cluster_helper needs access to a lot of
> internal stuff of the packetizers. I can't really describe it, but my
> stuff is really involved. If you want a common API that API would have
> to be as extensive as mine is, and I don't think anyone else wants
> that. My idea has never been to have a modular system for which everyone
> can write a plugin (be it a reader or packetizer, doesn't matter) but to
> have a system that can control almost every aspect of Matroska file
> creation. This does not fit well into a common API.

That's what makes your tools so special. They are the only ones that can
make real use of Matroska because they don't have the limitations of
legacy systems. Now maybe GStreamer doesn't have this limitation (as
they claim it's almost perfect ;). Maybe Ronald could tell us about it,
like what features are and aren't possible, and if it's possible to
(re)write something like mkvmerge entirely with GStreamer.