[Matroska-general] Re: Re: New VLC 0.7.0

Paul Bryson paul at msn.com
Sun Jan 4 17:17:23 CET 2004

"Steve Lhomme" wrote...
> Paul Bryson wrote:
> > It won't be 2-3 months.  It will be at least 6 months to get a good
> > implementation of the menus, and that is being generous as it would probably
> > take much longer.  Writing specs is one thing, getting the menus to exist
and to
> > play back in something is completely different.  There isn't much in the way
of
> > programs that will play back normal DVD menus, and loads of people have been
> > working on that for years.
>
> It's good to see how you trust our working force ;)
> Look at what we did in a short time (even in "internet time").

Yes, but just getting reading working took coding from Febuary to May of last
year.  And that was just to pass packets to existing systems.  You want to
create a whole new system to pass stuff to.

> I'm not going to build a menu system that can do everything under the
> sun. I think in 1 or 2 months it could be working.

Again, there isn't an easy solution for this.  Where are the menus going to be
played back?  Specific support could maybe be added to TCMP, but what else could
support it?

Pamel