[Matroska-general] Re: New VLC 0.7.0

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Sun Jan 4 16:37:42 CET 2004

Paul Bryson wrote:

> It won't be 2-3 months.  It will be at least 6 months to get a good
> implementation of the menus, and that is being generous as it would probably
> take much longer.  Writing specs is one thing, getting the menus to exist and to
> play back in something is completely different.  There isn't much in the way of
> programs that will play back normal DVD menus, and loads of people have been
> working on that for years.

It's good to see how you trust our working force ;)
Look at what we did in a short time (even in "internet time").

I'm not going to build a menu system that can do everything under the
sun. I think in 1 or 2 months it could be working.

For the MPEG, it is supposedly possible/working for months but strangely
we have no code to prove it ;)

And for the control track, that's just as I said. Maybe I'll check with
bond to see if BIFS need some extra data than just the ones in the
Control Track.