[Matroska-general] New VLC 0.7.0

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Sun Jan 4 12:36:33 CET 2004

Christian HJ Wiesner wrote:

> Steve,
>
> I did this already, i visit the #videolan channel from time to time and
> talk to the guys, but apparently they lost interest in supporting
> matroska's last features for the time being, maybe we implemented new
> features faster than they could support them ;-) ( they cant support RV9
> in MKV, same goes for SSA, and this makes many files incompatible ).

It sucks, they just need to put the new libs on their site, take Mosu's
patch, and they're done (for the next release). It takes about 1h max to
do that.

> Maybe this lack of interest would change also if we go 1.0, so this is
> actually putting water on Pamel's mills. Still, i want
> - control tracks
> - MPEG1/2 video
> - menues
> before we finally go 1.0  :P ... even if this means waiting 2 - 3 more
> months.

Control Track don't need extra support in the format/lib. It's just a
codec... Maybe there could be a list of possible interactions with the
player needed by the track. That way a player/system will know if it can
or cannot support this track.

For the MPEG I wish spyder would stop trying useless solutions and have
something working. It doesn't matter if it's clean.

I'm working on the menu. I hope to have the format of the data almost
done in a few days. Then I'll see with Mosu on how to mux a basic file
in a movie. And then I can see with the Matroska Splitter (and Gabest
and Toff) how to interpret it in MPC and TCMP. (as the Control Track
codec needs to talk to the player)