[Matroska-general] Re: [Fwd: Re: mplayer G2]

Peter Niemayer niemayer at isg.de
Sat Feb 21 00:54:21 CET 2004

Christian HJ Wiesner wrote:
>  From mplayer-dev-eng :
>
> The 'bumpling idiots', thats us i guess. I wonder if this idiot is worth
> a call to my lawyer.

Certainly not.

For almost any piece of code you can find somebody with an exaggerated
understanding of what is appropriate advocacy tout, but legal actions
would primarily distract people from developing software, and that would
harm both projects, which are both great in my opinion.

mplayer is a great media player, with a development focus certainly more
on feature-completeness and performance rather than textbook programming style.
And matroska is a great container format which fills a gap that the
predominance of the ancient and poor AVI format created along with
the lazyness of all those who would rather add yet-another-hack-extension
to AVI rather than cleanly design a new container from scratch.

I wouldn't like to miss either. Having a super-modular-ultimately-well-designed-
and-documented video player wouldn't help if that player was lacking performance
or codec support. And being stuck with AVI for eternity would be just as bad,
even if there was a hand-optimized assembler implementation for every CPU on
earth that would demultiplex AVI with the lowest possible cycle count.

Cheers,

Peter Niemayer