[Matroska-general] Re: [Matroska-users] mkvtoolnix 1.0.1 is out

Liisachan Liisachan at faireal.net
Fri Dec 17 15:05:24 CET 2004

Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> > On Windows:
> > When you hit the [Start muxing], the progress window will pop up,
> > but it won't be the topmost window, and will be hidden bihind
> > other windows. Is this a spec?
>
> No, this is Windows. I've noticed it myself, but all my efforts to let
> it stay on top are in vain. So I really, really, REALLY don't know how
> to make it behave properly... The options are:

Ok: basically, being able to minimize while muxing is
not that important as sticking to the 'normal' Win UI. I guess
more than half users would want to see the progress window
rather than to minimize/hide it anyway.

I know MKVToolnix is not originally for Win32,
but still the Windows verson should stick to the standard
Windows app designs as long as possible.

> 1. The main window stays visiable during muxing and cannot be
>    hidden/minimized,

Maybe you might want to add a "Minimize while muxing" checkbox
for a few users who prefer 1.0.1 style to 1.0.0's

> 2. The muxing dialog is made non-modal. Then the main window can be
>    minimized, but it can also be changed, and that will definitely
>    result in crashes.

If this were just an Win app, then you could just disable
all the editboxes, buttons etc while muxing by calling
EnableWindow()

> Also if the main window is minimized as soon as
>    the muxing is finished then the muxing dialog is made modal and the
>    main window cannot be restored anymore (only from the task manager),

How so?  In Win32 API, if the dialogbox is created as modeless,
usually it will remain modeless to the end, even if there is
only one thread.
Besides, a minimized window can be always restored by Explorer.
???
Liisachan