[Matroska-general] Subtitles TODO

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Fri Dec 10 15:27:59 CET 2004

Hi,

As we are progressing with menu and other things, we are facing several
problems with subs. Especially due to bugs or missing features in
vsfilter. So my idea is to collect a list of things to do in vsfilter to
move on.

Here is what I can think of. Feel free to add yours to the list. We will
try to contact Gabest and motivate him to fix it, as it's the main
component that he has done and on which many other people depend.

- W98 issues: W98 users are experiencing occasional crashes when using
MKV with SRT. Version 2.23 seems to work and version 2.24 doesn't.

- "button" subs: can vsfilter display buttons as on a DVD ? There might
be resizing issues here... Also I'm not sure how buttons work on DVD, ie
wether it depends on a timecode, or if only an area speficied in the PCI
packet should be displayed, or it's just a matter or changing colours.

- Multiple subtitles: Is it possible to use 2 instances of vsfilter at
once above the same video ? ie, to use subs and buttons at the same time.

- Forced subs: we have introduced forced subs (not like default sub) in
Matroska. Maybe there should be a way to have a forced flag/option in
vsfilter too ?

- USF support: is there any plan to update & improve USF support in
vsfilter ?

OT: Did anyone test Haali's splitter on W98 ? Is it supposed to work
there too ?